Canadians Fly High at the World ChampionshipsFebruary 24, 2012 | By Cottage Dog
The Dock Dogs World Championships were held in Canton, Ohio at the Stark County Fair this past Labour Day weekend featuring some of the best dogs from North America in Big Air, Extreme Vertical, Speed Retrieve and Iron Dog.
This event was invite only and invites could be earned through winning at a world qualifier event (there was one in Ontario in February and one in Alberta in July) or by having a top Canadian ranking in one of the disciplines.
Five Canadians represented Canada at the World Championships and they were:
- Natasha Henlein and Epic (Border Collie) from Sutton West, Ontario for Big Air
- Melissa Doren and Guinness (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever) from Mississauga, Ontario for Big Air
- Sheena Stark and Bosco (German Shepherd) from West Flamborough, Ontario for Extreme Vertical
- Karin Apfel and Storm (Belgian Malinois) from Bradford, Ontario for Speed Retrieve and Iron Dog
- Toni Schraa and Riley (Labrador Retriever) from Lisle, Ontario for the Youth Handler Invite
Although none of our Canadians advanced on to the final rounds, everyone had a great time and enjoyed the experience of competing with and watching some of the world’s most talented canine athletes.
Back to Articles
Don’t miss a single copy of Cottage Dog Magazine- Become a Subscriber today!INSTANT DIGITAL EDITION
It is our pleasure to offer you iPod, iPhone and iPad users digital editions! Click here to read FREE digital archived issues now!ADVERTISE WITH US